Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A New TeamKID....

I thought this story was worth sharing.

To understand, you will first need to know about our Wednesday night program at church. Wednesday nights we have a program that is called TeamKID. It has become a huge outreach for our children's ministry. Since moving to a new facility (in the middle of "old Gunter") we have beyond tripled in attendance/roster numbers and have many underprivileged children walking to the church to participate.

In the last three weeks we have one very "spirited" hispanic kid attending. His name is Carlos, but you can't help but to love this kid.

This past week I was up at the elementary school doing my weekly reading conferences with my daughter's class. Carlos is in another grade but sees me from the other side of the school. He immediately sees me and comes running to me..."Ms. Mandy, Ms. Mandy! What are we doing this week at church?!?! What will you be teaching us?" I respond with some quick conversation and tell him we will be studying King Solomon. He was so excited about it!! So sweet!

Then tonight he arrives at the church about an hour early. Not only does he come early, but comes with his worksheet filled out, his verse memorized, and with a friend. He was so excited....and so was I. As he was showing me everything he had prepared and brought to TeamKID, I began to look over his worksheet. The worksheet had a slot where the child was to write a brief prayer to God. His prayer was so sincere and sweet. He was thanking God for our program and how much fun he was having learning about him! It was so awesome to read!!!

A friend of mine (the TeamKID worship leader) and I spent the next half hour getting to know this little boy. What a joy it was to listen to him talk about his family, what makes him laugh, about school, and about how excited he was that is was Wednesday.

As the night finished up Carlos approached me and said, "Thank you Ms. Mandy for helping and teaching me tonight!"

WOW! Isn't God good.....

1 comment:

Keelie said...

Brought me to tears. God is good and working hard in our midst! Keep up the wonderful work...